This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
Eligible Grades – All
Location – Victoria Quay, Edinburgh EH6 6QQ
Further Information – Staff on any working pattern may apply
Accountancy Services supports the Corporate Reporting Functions of the Finance Management Directorate. The team has a central role in the preparation and publication of the Scottish Government Consolidated Accounts, and in the development of accounting policies and guidance and reporting across the Scottish public sector.
The team also has responsibility for the Scottish consolidated data submitted to the UK Whole of Government Accounts publication. In addition, the team provides technical accounting support to a number of smaller public bodies as well as supporting business areas through analysis of financial information related to procurement activities.
The team consists of 1 C1, 1 B3, 1 B2 and 2 B1s, working closely together to support the corporate financial reporting processes described above. The C1 and B3 are professionally qualified accountants, and the B2 and B1 roles are trainees, pursuing qualification with one of the CCAB bodies. The post holder has direct line management responsibility for the B2.
You will be a good communicator and will enjoy working closely with colleagues. You will have strong analytical skills and experience in problem solving. You will demonstrate strong planning and organisation skills, while prioritising workloads to meet deadlines.
• Supporting the corporate financial reporting processes including corporate reporting, accounts production and whole of government accounts.
• Planning, preparation and completion of annual consolidated accounts.
• Provision of technical accounting support to public bodies.
• Analysis of financial information to support business decisions.
• Support the Trainee Accountants Network within Scottish Government and assist in the organisation of CPD events for qualified staff.
1. Strong financial knowledge, analytical skills and a high level of professional competence. This role is for a CCAB qualified accountant, with an understanding of Government Financial Reporting frameworks.
2. Ability to work closely with colleagues and stakeholders in developing and implementing robust financial reporting.
3. Strong communication skills, both written and verbal and problem solving skills.
4. Ability to work on your own initiative, to deliver high quality outcomes meeting deadlines whilst managing competing internal and external priorities.
• Communications and engagement
• Analysis and Use of Evidence
• Financial Management
• People Management
Provisional Dates for Sift and Assessment
Provisional dates for sift week commencing 26th April.
Provisional dates for interview week commencing 3rd May.
Minimum Time in Post
The successful candidate will be expected to remain in post for a minimum of three years unless successful at gaining promotion to a higher Band or Grade.
In the event that further posts are required, a reserve list of successful candidates will be kept for up to 3 months.
Applicants must discuss their intention to apply with their current line manager to help ensure release dates can be agreed.
Important Information Regarding Interviews
In recognition of the Scottish Government's ongoing measures and guidance in its response to Covid-19 (Coronavirus), we would like to advise applicants that a decision has been taken that all interviews must be conducted in a virtual/remote setting.
In order to facilitate this new way of working, we are asking all applicants to ensure that they have a suitable space to complete the virtual interview. In addition, a personal device of choice, which has the interview application downloaded. This could be MS Teams or Webex for example. This will allow candidates to undertake the interview/assessment if selected. We are also asking you to ensure that your personal Wi-Fi/Broadband capacity will be sufficient to carry both audio and video feeds.
For information on this post please contact Alison Douglas on email at email@example.com.
If you experience any difficulties accessing our website or completing the online application form, please contact the resourcing team via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligible Grades – All