Complaints and Appeals Officer
This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
Eligible Grades – All
Location – Saughton House, Broomhouse Drive, Edinburgh, EH11 3XD
Further Information – Staff on any working pattern may apply
Do you have excellent communication skills with experience in team working?
Can you demonstrate strong planning and organisation skills, while prioritising workloads to meet deadlines?
Do you take pride in providing excellent customer care?
If the answers to the above are yes, then this exciting development opportunity may be for you.
The Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) is an Agency of the Scottish Government responsible for the assessment and payment of student entitlement for Scottish Students studying within the UK. This post is part of the Complaints and Appeals Team which is comprised of four B1 Complaints and Appeals Officers and an A4 Complaints and Appeals Support Officer who all report directly to the Complaints and Appeals Manager and are supported by the Information Manager (B3).
The team sit within the Strategy and Operations Directorate of the Agency which includes Operations, Policy, Information Management, Statistical Analysis, Change Management, Corporate Office, Communications and Outreach/ Engagement. The successful post holder will have regular interaction with different business areas across the Agency including senior management, Policy, Operations and Communications.
The successful candidate may be asked to support colleagues in other areas of the Agency – such Information Management, Operations or Policy – during peak times.
• Investigate and draft responses to both 1st and 2nd stage complaints and appeals, MP/MSP enquiries, MiCase correspondence and referrals from the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) ensuring we meet set deadlines and comply with the SPSO's Complaints Handling Procedures (CHP).
• Identify and provide feedback to Agency colleagues identifying trends that improve our service and influence training needs.
• Allocate cases, monitor inboxes and review draft responses in the absence of the team manager ensuring all deadlines are met.
1. Strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex information clearly to a range of audiences.
2. Good organisational skills, managing challenging workloads and competing priorities and deadlines with the ability to work independently.
3. Ability to research and analyse information to produce informed decisions and recommendations.
4. Ability to develop good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Communications and Engagement
Analysis and Use of Evidence
Provisional Dates for Sift and Assessment
To be confirmed.
Minimum Time in Post
The successful candidate will be expected to remain in post for a minimum of three years unless successful at gaining promotion to a higher Band or Grade.
Applicants must discuss their intention to apply with their current line manager to help ensure release dates can be agreed.
SAAS has separate arrangements from core Scottish Government for Public and Privilege holidays. After taking up post in SAAS you will take the Spring Friday and Monday holiday in late May/early June together with the September half day. SAAS office is fully closed between Christmas and New Year.
Important Information Regarding Interviews
In recognition of the Scottish Government's ongoing measures and guidance in its response to Covid-19 (Coronavirus), we would like to advise applicants that a decision has been taken that all interviews must be conducted in a virtual/remote setting.
In order to facilitate this new way of working, we are asking all applicants to ensure that they have a suitable space to complete the virtual interview. In addition, a personal device of choice, which has the interview application downloaded. This could be MS Teams or Webex for example. This will allow candidates to undertake the interview/assessment if selected. We are also asking you to ensure that your personal Wi-Fi/Broadband capacity will be sufficient to carry both audio and video feeds.
For information on this post please contact Angela Robertson on email at email@example.com.
If you experience any difficulties accessing our website or completing the online application form, please contact the resourcing team via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligible Grades – All