Mental Health Workforce Policy Manager
This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
Eligible Grades – All
Location – St Andrews House, Edinburgh EH1 3DG
Further Information – Staff on any working pattern may apply
This post offers an exciting opportunity to join a new Unit within an expanding and high profile policy area.
Supporting good mental health and wellbeing is a key Government priority. This has become ever more important as we transition through the COVID-19 response and recovery. Our approach is described in our recently published Transition and Recovery Plan which builds upon our existing Mental Health Strategy (2017-2027).
We are the Workforce, Digital and Primary Care Unit within the Mental Health Directorate. The unit has overall responsibility for supporting and developing the high quality infrastructure required to ensure that people receive the right mental health support, at the right time.
A key feature of our activity is our work with partners - including the NHS, Integration Authorities, Cosla and the third sector - to ensure high quality, safe and sustainable mental health services which meet evolving needs. A robust and resilient workforce, with the right skill mix, is critical to the delivery of our ambition.
Working in collaboration with a range of SG policy areas and external partners, you will support the development of a strategic approach to growing Scotland’s Mental Health Workforce. This will include an initial assessment of future workforce needs and bringing together a range of existing workforce activity into an overarching programme approach.
• Support the development of a new strategic approach to growing the mental health workforce, working in collaboration with a range of policy areas and external stakeholders, including appropriate governance, analytical support and monitoring structures.
• Support appropriate oversight of broader MH workforce activity which complements existing approaches across different SG and partner settings.
1. Excellent analytical skills, demonstrating experience of drawing on a range of complex information or data to inform policy or decision making. Able to interrogate evidence and explicitly make the link to intended policy outcomes.
2. Proven ability to think strategically and make links across subject boundaries, and to prioritise and work flexibly.
3. Able to communicate complex information clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing at all levels.
4. Excellent stakeholder management and experience of working with Ministers and a wide range of stakeholders to achieve common goals.
Analysis and Use of Evidence
Communication and Engagement
Provisional Dates for Sift and Assessment
Sift: 6 May; Interviews on 21 May
Minimum Time in Post
The successful candidate will be expected to remain in post for a minimum of three years unless successful at gaining promotion to a higher Band or Grade.
In the event that further posts are required, a reserve list of successful candidates will be kept for up to 9 months.
Applicants must discuss their intention to apply with their current line manager to help ensure release dates can be agreed.
Important Information Regarding Interviews
In recognition of the Scottish Government's ongoing measures and guidance in its response to Covid-19 (Coronavirus), we would like to advise applicants that a decision has been taken that all interviews must be conducted in a virtual/remote setting.
In order to facilitate this new way of working, we are asking all applicants to ensure that they have a suitable space to complete the virtual interview. In addition, a personal device of choice, which has the interview application downloaded. This could be MS Teams or Webex for example. This will allow candidates to undertake the interview/assessment if selected. We are also asking you to ensure that your personal Wi-Fi/Broadband capacity will be sufficient to carry both audio and video feeds.
For information on this post please contact Claire McDermott by email at Claire.McDermott@gov.scot or by calling 07717708816.
If you experience any difficulties accessing our website or completing the online application form, please contact the resourcing team via email@example.com.
Eligible Grades – All