This job is closed and is displayed for reference only.
Social Security Scotland was set up in 2018 by The Scottish Government to deliver benefits to the people of Scotland. This means a number of social security benefits are now being delivered by The Scottish Government rather than through the Department of Work and Pensions, or the UK Government.
These benefits are being introduced in stages and once all benefits have been introduced, we will be delivering benefits for families on low incomes, people who need help paying for a funeral, disabled people, carers, young people entering the workplace, and to help people heat their homes. Through our values of dignity, fairness and respect, we will deliver a consistent service that the people of Scotland deserve.
About the Role
As a Client Manager, you will play a crucial role in providing a great service for our customers. Every day is a chance to make an important contribution to what we do. This job will help make sure we are getting things right and you will be an important link between our clients, front line staff and senior management.
What does the job involve?
All Client Managers have decision making responsibility related to the assessment of benefit applications.
• You need to be sharp on details as you will assess applications and appeals to determine if further information or evidence is required. If it is, you will follow up to get things completed.
• Being able to explain the outcome of applications and appeals to clients is important. You will do this in writing and by speaking to clients over the phone.
• You will review cases and complaints to ensure clients are treated fairly and are given the correct outcome, so we need you to be thorough on each case.
• You will explain complex cases simply and clearly. You’ll also provide recommendations to line managers and other colleagues using information you have gathered.
• You will work with colleagues to continuously improve the service we provide to the people of Scotland. We are a new organisation – in this job you can help us shape our future service.
Successful candidates will be appointed to roles across the organisation that have similar responsibilities and duties. Posts will be offered in order of merit, in alignment with our resource requirements.
When you apply, we will ask some basic questions to make sure you are eligible for the job. Details on Civil Service Nationality rules can be found here.
If you are eligible based on the information you provide, we will invite you to complete an online assessment.
During the online assessment, you will be presented with a number of scenarios and asked which response would be your most, and least likely response. This is all done online.
If your work preferences and skills match with what we are looking for, we will send you an application form to complete.
Application Form – provide written answers to the Essential Criteria
In your application form, we will ask you to provide specific examples of how you meet the Essential Criteria below. You will have 300 words for each to showcase your knowledge, skills, and personal qualities. Your experience and answers here don’t need to be work related. They could be from any part of your life including education, sport, and hobbies or even from your personal or family life.
1. In this role, you will need to make decisions and explain them every day. Please use 300 words to tell us about a time when you used information to make a decision and then explained your reasoning to an individual or team.
2. At times, this role will present you with some complex situations. Please use 300 words to tell us about a time when you have had to overcome a complex situation to achieve a particular goal.
Recorded Video Interview
If you pass the earlier stages, you will be invited to record a video interview.
Using easy-to-use software, your interview will be carried out virtually on a computer, laptop or mobile device. During the interview you will be asked to record and submit your answers to four competency based questions, and you will have the option to re-record your answers until you are happy with them.
Competency based questions are similar to Essential Criteria where we ask you to talk about a specific example of a past situation you have been in. We will provide more information on this once you reach this stage and are here if you need any help to complete this.
Competencies Tested during Interview
If invited to the interview stage, you will be tested on the following competencies from the Skills for Success matrix:
Communications and Engagement
Analysis and Use of Evidence
We are also hosting Virtual Candidate Workshops to provide further information on the job role and how to make the best application.
If interested in attending a workshop, please book your place here.
If you experience any difficulties accessing our website or completing the online application form, please contact us by phone on 0330 041 7478 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about the job and how to apply is available at Client Manager (socialsecurity.gov.scot).